Position: Programs Manager, Full Time
Reports to: Chairman, Save Rivers
SAVE Rivers advocates for and empowers rural communities to protect and restore lands, rivers and watersheds through research, training and capacity building. We envision a society with good governance, whereby human rights are respected, land, rivers and watersheds are protected and rural communities are empowered to live sustainably with nature.
Originally established in 2011 to organize communities against a series of dams, we had a major victory in 2016 with the official cancellation of the Baram Dam. We now work with local and international partners to promote village-scale renewable energy systems, promote indigenous land rights and indigenous-led environmental protection, help develop sustainable livelihoods, build capacity in rural communities, and further the protection of all of Sarawak’s rivers.
Job Description: The Programs Manager will lead and facilitate the development of all Save Rivers programs and campaigns. They will do so by developing a local and international campaign strategy, consulting with communities, coordinating between local and international NGOs, organizing workshops and meetings, and facilitating communications between stakeholders.
- The right candidate needs to have a passion for indigenous rights and environmental justice.
- This is a small organization. The right candidate must assume many roles and must be a highly organized self-starter.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Follow Malaysian and Sarawak politics on matters related to indigenous rights, energy, and environmental protection
- Coordinate communication between community representatives, local NGOs, government officials, and international allies
- Develop, implement, and lead campaigns to promote human rights and environmental protection
- Organize informational workshops about the initiative in partnership with the Baram Peace Park steering committee
- Consult local villages about their concerns, needs, and ideas to ensure their participation in every step of the process
- Fundraising for programmes and subsequently, submit reports and financial accounting for all programme related activities and events
- Research policy and procedure relating to the programme as needed
- Develop a messaging strategy about programmes in coordination with our partners
- Represent Save Rivers at state and national events and conferences relating to the the BPP, indigenous rights, renewable energy and environmental protection
- Manage programmes coordination between Save Rivers staff and other organizations
- Manage social media strategy related to the work; regularly update social media feeds with current, breaking and/or relevant Borneo-related news; generate creative and engaging material for social media
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to work independently under tight deadlines in a high pressure environment;
- Commitment to social, and environmental justice, indigenous rights, bottom-up social change, and building social movements.
- Ability to manage small team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage details, meet deadlines, and problem-solve
- Ability to work independently and multi-task with high degree of project and time-management capacity
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Documents
- Must be organized, detail-oriented, and flexible
- Language skills: English and BM required, local indigenous languages desired
- Bachelor’s degree and relevant work experience
- Ability to travel on behalf of the work and mission of SAVE Rivers
- Flexibility and adaptability to undertake any other work assigned to you by the organization
Working Hours: Mon to Fridays: 8.30am to 5.30pm; Saturdays & Sundays: Rest Days. Lunch Breaks: 12.30 pm to 1.30pm. Some weekends and evenings required. In the event of your having to work on a rest day, you will be entitled to claim replacement leave in lieu of work done.
Compensation is commensurate with work experience. Full benefits package.
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter, writing sample, and and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.